Day in Rabat while on layover at CMN airport
If you have a layover at Mohammed V International Airport (CMN) and want to spend a day in Rabat, here’s a suggested itinerary to make the most of your time in the city:
Note: Before proceeding with this plan, ensure that you have sufficient time for your layover, taking into account immigration, security checks, and potential flight delays. Also, consider leaving your luggage at the airport or storing it in a secure place.
- Airport to Rabat: Take a taxi or arrange private transportation to Rabat. The drive from CMN Airport to Rabat takes about 1.5 to 2 hours, depending on traffic.
- Explore Hassan Tower & Mausoleum of Mohammed V: Start your day by visiting the iconic Hassan Tower, an incomplete minaret that is part of an ancient mosque. Nearby, you’ll find the Mausoleum of Mohammed V, the resting place of Morocco’s former king and his two sons.
- Kasbah of the Udayas: Head to the picturesque Kasbah of the Udayas, a historic fortress and residential area known for its blue and white buildings. Stroll through its charming narrow streets and enjoy the stunning views of the Bou Regreg River.
- Lunch: Treat yourself to a delicious Moroccan meal at a local restaurant in the Medina or by the seaside.
- Chellah Necropolis: Visit the Chellah, an ancient Roman and medieval necropolis with well-preserved ruins and a serene garden. It’s a peaceful and historical place to explore.
- Royal Palace of Rabat: While you can’t enter the Royal Palace, you can admire its grand architecture and the impressive palace gates from the outside.
- Hassan II Avenue: Take a walk along the lively Hassan II Avenue, lined with shops, cafes, and historical buildings.
- Rabat Beach: Head to Rabat’s beachfront for a relaxing evening stroll and to catch the beautiful sunset over the Atlantic Ocean.
- Dinner: Enjoy a traditional Moroccan dinner at one of the city’s many restaurants, offering a variety of delectable local dishes.
- Return to Airport: Arrange transportation to return to Mohammed V International Airport well ahead of your flight departure time.
Remember to adjust this itinerary according to your specific layover duration and flight schedule. Rabat is a charming city with a rich history and unique charm, and even a brief visit can offer a glimpse into Morocco’s cultural heritage.